Hello Everyone

PLEASE NOTE - IF YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS DOES NOT WORK, YOU WON'T GET THE LINK TO CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT

Tackroom Gossip (TG) is BACK !!

If you need somewhere to advertise your business, online shop, animals for sale, referral links to websites, it's here. You can post here for free, no charge. Times are hard enough for all of us and if me offering this to you can help you, yippee!

If you need somewhere to vent and let off steam about anything horsey, or non-horsey, please feel free to and know that even if we can't actually help, we will try to understand and be there virtually for you.
It's important to Keep Talking, to anyone, just keep that communication going.

This "cost of living crisis" is getting to all of us, the media are constantly going on about prices rising, bills rising, jobs lost etc. It's all doom and gloom.
Spot a good deal somewhere ? Please share it with us.
Found a yummy recipe online that doesn't cost the earth to make ? We'll try it.

Any problems logging in, please reply to this email and I'll get you sorted out.

Thank you
Trish (admin for Tracing Equines and Tackroom Gossip)
www.tracingequines.co.uk

Information sheets from UK Horsewatch Alliance

The Horsewatch Code = MARK IT, STAMP IT, CHIP IT, CODE IT - OR LOSE IT !
TracingEquines
Site Admin

Re: Information sheets from UK Horsewatch Alliance

Post by TracingEquines »

Information sheet No. 11

A Guide to Marking Your Rugs

Why bother

Marking your rugs will help prevent their theft, help safe guard your horse and if they are lost can stop their resale. It will also enable someone to return them to you should they be found. Even though you think it is just an old summer sheet or turnout, if it’s stolen your loss is the price of a replacement which can easily be hundreds of pounds. Multiply this by all the rugs you keep at the yard and a theft can be a very expensive event to cope with.

The majority of rug theft occurs during autumn and early winter when the weather becomes colder. Some people see your rug as a quick solution to their cold horse, especially if you have just bought a nice new one. Others see the ready market in used rugs as a quick profit at your expense. Either way you can come back to a cold wet animal only to find your insurance does not cover rugs.

How to mark them

There are several ways to mark your rugs depending on the material they are made from. For light coloured indoor fabrics a black permanent marker pen is a quick solution. Turnouts and thick quilted rugs can have your home postcode painted on. A neat way for marking by hand is to draw around a stencil with a ball point pen and just fill in the letters afterwards.

(photo hosted on new TE gallery)

Iron-on lettering can be made from T shirt transfer sheets sold in stationers. Use the dark material type so you can match or contrast the rug colour. A good bright colour combination will make the postcode easy to see even when the rug is muddy. You can also add a freezemark to show the horse is protected that way.

Be sure to test that the rug will stand the hot iron needed to seal the transfer to the material, follow the maker’s instructions carefully and only print with an inkjet (a laser printer will melt the transfer). Three postcodes will fit across an A4 sheet using PowerPoint or Word to set them out in your colours.

TracingEquines
Site Admin

Post by TracingEquines »

Frequently Asked Questions

= What should I do if I think I have seen a stolen horse?
You should contact your local Police Force and the local Horsewatch co-ordinator.

= How can I contact Horsewatch in my area?
Either check the links on the 'Horsewatch groups nationwide' page or email us with your details, stating which area you live in, and we will find who your co-ordinator is for your region and ask them to contact you.

= What if there is not a co-ordinator for my area?
We will find the nearest coverage for your area. There will always be a Horsewatch co-ordinator caretaking your area.

= How can I check if a trailer I have looked at is stolen or not?
Check with the manufacturer making sure that you have the model and serial number for them to check. Always make a note of the vehicle registration number shown on the back of the trailer. If the trailer proves to be stolen it will be vital information for the Police.

= How can I check if a horsebox is stolen?
Check the engine number matches the chassis number and all details on the plating certificate. Ask to see the vehicle log book and check you have a written note of these numbers. Check the vehicle with DVLA Swansea providing the above information.

= How can I be sure that the horse I am buying is not stolen?
It is a legal requirement for all equines to have a passport. Ensure you have sight of this and check the details match the equine for sale on the National Equine Database (www. nedonline.co.uk). If the horse has a freezebrand, check the mark with all freezebranding companies. Also check the Stolen Horse Register at www.stolenhorseregister.com. Although there are a large number of horses described, it cannot be treated as complete. It is not linked to the Police national computer.
(please note - the NED website no longer exists)

= What can I do if I see an ill-treated equine?
Take the location details and a detailed description of the equine in question plus the detail of the complaint and contact RSPCA, ILPH, BHS Welfare Office or the Police.

= I have seen a horse which looks like one listed on the Stolen Horse Register, but I am not sure and I do not want to cause a fuss - what should I do?
Recovering stolen horses can only be accomplished by somebody having the courage to make a fuss! You can contact local Horsewatch by phone, via their websites or by email and we will investigate your concern. We go on many 'wild goose chases', some of which are fruitful and can lead to useful information adding pieces to a jigsaw. We need and appreciate your help, and will not judge you as alarmist if you are trying to help.

= Where can I go to find my stolen tack?
Unless your tack was identifiable by serial numbers, postcode, microchip or other visual method, it is unlikely to be recovered. If the Police recovered a hoard of tack without any form of identifiation they do not know who owns it and therefore cannot return it. Therefore, it cannot be identified as stolen and will be returned to the thief as no proof of ownership can be substantiated.
TracingEquines
Site Admin

Post by TracingEquines »

Passport Regulations

On 1 August 2009 new horse passport regulations were imposed which will affect every horseowner in England.

What you should know about the new passport and microchipping regulations

You can be fined £5,000 for not having a passport or microchip (if appropriate)
Only the owner of a horse may apply for a passport

Foals born after 1 July 2009 must have a microchip implanted by a vet when first identified at six months old
When applying for first passports for adult horses, the horse must be microchipped and will be signed out of the food chain automatically by the vet

The passport must accompany a horse at all times, except when stabled, in the field or on a hack. It is an offence to transport your horse without a passport, except in an emergency

The passport must be available to be shown to a local authority officer within three hours at any time, but Defra says it will be flexible about this regulation

The keeper is responsible for the horse's passport. The keeper may be the owner, loaner, livery yard manager, transporter, racehorse trainer or auctioneer, depending on the circumstances

Passports are no longer to be issued at sales, markets or abattoirs
You must give the passport to a buyer at the point of sale
If you are selling through a market they must receive the passport before the sale can go ahead
You must notify the PIO with any change of ownership or death of a horse within 30 days. It is an offence not to do so
Vets must ask to see a horse's passport before any treatment can take place

If your horse has not been signed out of the human food chain (at Section IX part II of the passport) vets are limited in the drugs they may use on your horse

If a horse has been given bute (phenylbutazone) at any point in its life it must be signed out of the food chain

A dispensation from passport or microchipping law has been made for semi-feral ponies in the New Forest, Exmoor and Dartmoor, but as soon as they are moved from the moor, except direct to a slaughter house, or to receive veterinary attention they must be microchipped and passported

How the new regulations safeguard your horse from theft

All owners applying for a new passport must microchip the horse/pony to which the passport relates
Vets must scan a horse for an existing microchip before implanting a new one
Passport issuing organisations (PIOs) must check the microchip number to ensure it has not been implanted before
Passports can no longer be issued at sales or abattoirs
PIOs will issue a temporary document, valid for 45 days, if you need to return your passport to them for any reason
Vets must check a horse passport before any treatment
All duplicate or replacement passports will be marked as such by the PIO
It is an offence to be in possession of a defaced, forged or altered passport
PIOs must notify the National Equine Database of a horse's death

To read the full regulations on passports and read a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section please go to the Defra website - https://www.gov.uk/horse-passport